Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Machinists

Two artists whose work is based around machines, Arthur Ganson's playful machine with a housefly that works to create the eratic movement of a housefly buzzing round a lightbulb. It makes me smile, such a complex machine for a a small movement of a fly. I really like roughed out machinery with cogs and mechanisms showing. It reminds me of hand cranked tim toys I have seen.


"All movement is inherently interesting to me. Here, playing with the gesture of the housefly as it buzzes around a light and proposing a possible mechanical system to create such movement."


Michael Kontopoulos's piece also makes me smile, after watching it for a few moments the movement and what it implies is clever, the repetition gives it a comic timing that the process will go on 'forever', however each time the hammer winds up you still expect it to topple the scultpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment